The Friends of the William G. Reed/Shelton Timberland Library provide essential financial support for cultural programs and events not covered by the Library’s operating budget. Especially important is the underwriting of after-school programs for teens and the Summer Reading program for children.
Besides providing funds for programs and events, the Friends work to support volunteerism on behalf of the Library, promote use of the Library’s services and materials and serve to increase involvement and visibility in the community.
We do this by:
- Conducting used book sales daily in the Library.
- Selling canvas tote bags.
- Encouraging gifts, endowments, bequests and memberships in the Friends.
- Providing a free-for-the-taking Bin of Books — a periodically refreshed selection of titles that are kept in a box or basket at locations throughout the community to foster an awareness of the Library and the pleasures of reading.
- Sales of Collectible and Rare Books and other media.